Together with the whole country, Phu Yen is implementing the National Target Program (NT) for socio-economic development in ethnic minority and mountainous areas in the period 2021- 2030. Phu Yen Newspaper discussed with Mr Truong Van Phuong, Head of the Provincial Department for Ethnic Minority Affairs, about the implementation of this program in Phu Yen. Mr Phuong informed:
Over the past time, the State has implemented many programs and policies to support the development of ethnic minority areas. As a result, the socio-economic situation in the areas has many positive changes. However, the rate of poor and near-poor households in the areas is still high; economic production models are not stable, the quality of economic and cultural life is still far from that of other regions... These are shortcomings that the NT Program for socio-economic development in ethnic minority areas in the period of 2021-2030 is trying to overcome.
|People in Da Loc commune, Dong Xuan district are supported and encouraged for economic development|
* In the period of 2021-2025, what specific goals does Phu Yen set to improve the lives of ethnic minorities in the province?
- During this period, Phu Yen sets a number of goals such as: Striving for the average income of ethnic minorities to increase by more than 2 times compared to 2020. The poverty rate per year will decrease by over 3%. Striving for 100% of communes, villages and hamlets to have motorways to the commune centers paved with asphalt or concrete. To basically complete the work of sedentary cultivation and settlement; arranging and stably arranging 90% of households to migrate without planning; basically solving the shortage of residential land and production land for the people. Striving to increase the rate of children going to school and graduating from high school; strengthening health work so that ethnic minorities can access modern health care services; increasing the percentage of laborers of vocational training age to 50%; preserving and developping the fine traditional cultural values and identities of the ethnic groups.
The program also aims at training, planning and building a contingent of ethnic minority officials, especially local ethnic minorities; ensuring that the proportion of ethnic minority cadres, civil servants and public employees is consistent with the proportion of ethnic minority population in each locality.
* Up to now, how has the NT Program for socio-economic development of the ethnic minority areas been implemented in the 2021-2025 period? Did the program encounter any difficulties during the implementation process, sir?
- In the period of 2021-2025, the Provincial People's Committee has allocated 323.18 billion VND in the development investment capital plan of the central budget for the implementation of the NT Program for socio-economic development in ethnic minority areas. Particularly in 2022, it is 105.63 billion VND. In which, development investment capital is 62.9 billion VND, non-business expenditure is 42.7 billion VND.
The program has been implemented for 5 years, but it took nearly 2 years to develop, perfect and promulgate mechanisms and policies. Some ministries and branches have not yet issued guiding documents, so the direction, administration and implementation of projects, sub-projects and contents of the program are still confused. The qualifications of grassroots officials are still limited in terms of capacity to manage and organize the implementation of assigned programs, policies and projects.
* What suggestions and recommendations does the Department for Ethnic Minority Affairs have to solve the above problems?
- In order to realize the set objectives and tasks, localities and units need to strengthen propaganda and dissemination of legal education in ethnic minority areas; strengthen professional guidance for district and commune levels. For communes that do not have the capacity to act as investors, the district level urgently assigns tasks to specialized departments to act as investors in order to ensure the progress of infrastructure works. For sub-projects that still have problems, they are waiting for the direction of the Provincial People's Committee; eligible sub-projects need to be implemented immediately. Sectors and localities should strengthen coordination and focus on removing difficulties to speed up the disbursement of program investment capital in 2022.
In order to effectively implement the program, the Department for Ethnic Minority Affairs proposes to the Government and the Prime Minister to soon issue regulations on support levels for policies on residential land, housing, production land, and daily-life water, so that localities can implementation declaration. At the same time, proposing the Government to allow the transfer of funds from the central budget to implement the Program in 2022 to 2023, because the remaining time of 2022 is very little, it is difficult to disburse capital in time.
Source: Phu Yen Newspaper
Translated by HAI LOAN